Bibles, Reference Books, and Other Books of Interest
This listing of Bible study materials, reference books, and other books of interest — in addition to our online Bible study articles — can help to provide a better understanding as you study the Bible. The listing of the books shown here does not necessarily constitute any agreement or disagreement with other books, articles, or commentaries published by the author. These links are constantly being updated. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.
Many of these books can be purchased in local bookstores. However, by using the links below you will be helping to support this website.
- From Time Immemorial: The Origins of the Arab-Jewish Conflict over Palestine [Joan Peters]
- Joan Peters, a professional writer and researchers, received a grant from an Arab Foundation to write a history of the ancient roots of the Arab population in historic Palestine. The problem was that, when she actually began doing her research, she found that most of the common beliefs about the long history of that population are just inaccurate. In fact, she found that the majority of the current population descended from waves of migration beginning in the 19th century and peaking in the early 20th.
- Tongue of the Prophets [Robert St. John]
- This is the fascinating, true story of Eliezer Ben Yehuda, who devoted his life to the revival of the Hebrew language. He also worked for the establishment of the Jewish state. This is not a "scholarly" book. It reads like a best-selling novel — you won't be able to put it down.
- The Revolt [Menachem Begin]
- A fascinating account of the role of the underground army of Eretz Israel, known as the Irgun Zvai Leumi, by its commander-in-chief, and Israeli statesman and former Prime Minister, Menachem Begin.
- 1st Book of the Maccabees
- The events of Hanukkah are told in this exceptional book. It's a very courageous, action-packed story. Throughout it all, the power and glory of Yahweh is seen as He gives triumph over the mighty Greek empire to a small group of faithful Jews, led by Judah Maccabee and his brothers. Except for the paperback version, all of these downloads are free. [Note: If you just want to read the version which applies to Hanukkah only, download the "Hanukkah version", which covers only chapters 1-4 of the 1st Book of the Maccabees.]
Books for Biblical Studies
- Tanakh: The Holy Scriptures
- An entirely original translation of the Hebrew Scriptures into contemporary English, based on the Masoretic Hebrew text. This is the culmination of three decades of collaboration, drawing upon the latest findings in linguistics and archaeology as well as the work of early rabbinic and medieval commentators, grammarians, and philologians. The resulting text is a triumph of literary style and biblical scholarship, unsurpassed in accuracy and clarity.
- Ancient Hebrew Lexicon of the Bible
- Because the Scriptures were written in biblical Hebrew, with a Hebraic mindset, the Hebrew words must be understood within their original cultural setting. This easy-to-use lexicon will enable you to do just that, quickly and effectively. [read the review]
- The New Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible
- A classic word-and-verse reference of the entire Bible. Completely updated with easy-to-read modern type and extra Bible study aids, including a 200-page topical index, the famous Hebrew and Greek dictionaries.
- Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Hebrew Words [7.4 MB]
- Study the meaning of biblical words in the original languages-without spending years learning Greek or Hebrew. This classic reference tool has helped thousands dig deeper into the meaning of the biblical text. Explains over 6,000 key biblical words. Includes a brand new comprehensive topical index that enables you to study biblical topics more thoroughly than ever before.
- Analytical Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon
- Every Hebrew word is listed alphabetically as it appears in the Tanakh (Hebrew Scriptures). It offers grammatical analysis and a meaning according to a word's derivation. An analytical lexicon helps the beginning and intermediate student of Hebrew identify the root words of difficult Hebrew forms.
- Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon
- Considered to be the finest and most comprehensive Hebrew lexicon available to the English-speaking student.
Note: This Web site is not affiliated with any institution, organization or religious group.
This page was last updated: May 8, 2013